How can screens in the future help us grow and live a better life?
Please note that the deadline of this contest has been moved to 29th November, 23:59 UTC! You now have two more days to create your stories! Please check your Mail box to see some tips that have been sent to help you in thicschallenge!
We have a series of three contests coming for Samsung about how we will use screens in the future. All contests will be launched in November and last for about two weeks. Each of the contest is on a different consumer need and we ask you to envision how we use the existing or new/emerging technologies to make screens, and the experience that they deliver useful to address the need. We hope you like them!
It’s part of human nature to look for personal development. The generation of Millennials and their parents, the Boomers, and also the younger people, are always looking to improve themselves. Because the world around them changes so rapidly, they need to self-improve and grow. If they stay the same, they would feel like they were getting left behind.
Another reason why people are focused on self-improvement is because of how we’re now used to broadcast our lives externally, on social media for instance. Self-improvement is seen as a positive social capital that goes beyond material possession.
Developing one’s own talent or the new ones can be done in many ways: taking classes, setting-up new routines, discussing with knowledgeable people, taking challenges and risks, creating new experiences, reading books, watching videos, etc.
The success of video channels, such as TED which claims that “ideas are worth spreading”, and the boom of Massive Online Open Courses (MOOC) show people’s passion for learning. To achieve their goals, people need to get motivated. And it can be done through games, learning fun activities and progressing.
It’s not unusual to be a master of any discipline if you’ve decided to do so. A woman can turn into a photographer after taking some online courses, being taught by instructors and practicing! Any worker now can learn a programming language with digital resources and change career very easily. Continous learning and development is key to achieve one’s personal objectives and being in contact with others can help to facilitate this.
The need for personal improvement is also touching homes. People value quality over quantity, as such, they are looking for ways to simplify and declutter the space that they live in. They have interest for products that have visual appeal and are higher quality products that say something about who they are and reflect their personal style . Because individuals need to be flexible and multi-functioning, they look for products with similar qualities.
These two needs converge in a broader need that we could call “Continuous growth to improve self, family and home”.
Right now, to reach this personal objective, people use what they have in their pockets and at home: phones of course, laptops, TV, tablets, and maybe books. What else? How could screens be more useful to help people reach their goals?
Samsung believes there is room for improving the consumer experience around screens and give them a bigger role in helping people achieve their personal goals for growth and improvement.
Could you help?
Tell us a story in which screens help people live a better and more fulfilled life, through continuous learning and development, personal growth and harmonized space.
We’re not asking you to invent new devices nor new technologies.
We’re asking you to tell us stories of people using existing screens and emerging new technologies (see below and in “Guidelines”) to fulfil the need described in the context.
You can also think about new ways of accessing, watching and sharing content to fulfill that need.
You should start with the-already-existing screens: TVs primarily and tablets, phones, Gear VR and family hub fridges, and imagine how these screens can help people reach their objectives of “Continuous improvement for self, family and homes”.
Also, in the scenario you write, you can use emerging technologies such as Internet of Things, Virtual reality & Augmented Reality and Artificial Intelligence. (Take a look at the guidelines for details about these emerging technologies).
You shall create an entry that describes the full experience of the user.
Your entry should be quite detailed and illustrated with supporting pictures.
Please address the following points:
- For whom this idea would be suited for?
- How does your experience help the user grow and achieve his/her goals?
- How are the screens used to achieve the goals? Show us, step by step how the screen are used, in which context and which occasion.
- How are they accessing, enjoying and sharing content e.g. pictures, videos, messages, or games to fulfill this need?
- Tell us which screens are important and what are their role?
- Is the big screen/TV important? What is the role of the big screen?
- Tell us what role the screen/hardware plays and what role the software plays?
- Does the emergent technology e/g AI/AR/VR/IOT play a role? In what way?
- What are the feelings, sensations and benefits people will have in your experience?
We encourage and stretch thinking to new experiences/occasions:
- Think about usage scenarios in home or out of home (on the go/at work);
- Think about different types of consumers eg. techy early adopters vs not-so-techy; older vs. younger; families vs. single; health conscious vs non; style/design focused vs. not; creative vs. functional, and any other different types of consumers and mindsets you can think of.
Have in mind that the consumers want Samsung to address: Continuous growth and development by improving skills, building motivation and reaching goals, and improving home space.
Here are some questions that can help you start ideating:
- how can screens in the future help me and my family to reach my potential, get guidance and also information?
- how can they help me to learn easily?
- How can improved tracking of data/ analysis help me to grow and improve
- how can my screens build motivation to achieve my goals?
- How can screens help me to share and see/track my progress?
Think about now but also how this develops in the future with emergent needs and technologies.
- #1 獎金 € 3,000
- #2 獎金 € 1,500
- #3 獎金 € 500
Two pages presentation with images and text. (PDF only)
The winners will be chosen among those that best describe new ways to use screens in the future (next 3-5 years). These will be interesting/different to what people are already experiencing/how they are already using screens and will be relevant to consumer needs and what they want. Strong understanding of the need is central to make your entry a good one.
- Entries should be in English.
- You can check Samsung existing products here: http://www.samsung.com/uk/home/
- We will not accept new hardware ideas.
- Here is additional information about emerging technologies:
- Artificial intelligence: machines mimicking how the human brain works to help in doing complex tasks and chores. Chats bots, Siri, drones, self-driving cars, and disease diagnosis are artificial intelligence uses. It can also involve talking to your devices through voice control e.g. Amazon Echo.
- Augmented Reality/Virtual Reality: a way to immerse a user into a totally new experience. Augmented Reality “augments” reality by adding elements through a screen. Virtual Reality is a totally immersive experience, using a headset. With VR you can for instance be at the front row of live events, while sitting in your living room.
- Internet of things: it’s when physical devices in the house are connected to one another to collect and exchange data. It helps the user to manage things (temperature, alarm etc.) in the house or be able to share and access content easily around the house. It also involves machines being more responsive, e.g. prompting you if it needs a repair or if you can improve the experience
- Entries should be in 英文
- 若你有使用到不屬於你自己的創作內容 (音樂、照片、設計等內容)，請在你的媒體描述說明中註明，不管你所使用到的音樂和/或圖片是否為自己創作，請提供授權連結證明你有這些內容的使用權利。